The Content of My Blog contains my views and thoughts. It does not reflect the views of the Peace Corps,the US Government, or El Salvador's Government.



Friday, December 10, 2010

Thanksgiving and Carnival

When I think of thanksgiving I think of well obviously lots of delicious food, family, seeing friends I haven't since the summer, lounging around watching tv, and coldness.

Other than the good food thing, thanksgiving in El Salvador was very different, but fun! First, Rebecca, Catie (2 volunteers in my group) and I stayed with this wonderful embassy family in San Salvador. Thanksgiving morning we went to the beach! We went to this beach called El Tunco. It is pebble beach made from volcanic rocks that have been smoothed out over the years, and has these two giant boulders with tide pools around it. On one side of the beach there are the good surfers and on the other side there are the beginners. There are surfers and travelers from all over the world! We met a lot of Canadians. The downtown area has coffee shops with paintings and Polaroids all over the walls, open air restaurants and bars that overlook the beach. Basically, it was my type of scene and I'm going back there for new years eve. Hopefully to see the bonfires and fame throwers they have at night and maybe learn to surf?

When we came back from the beach, we went to the embassy to swim, hang out,and watch the peace corps guys play flag football against the embassy guys. Then after this day in the sun we came back to Kathy and Ron's house to have Thanksgiving dinner all ready for us...we were so spoiled. We ate all the normal thanksgiving food and enjoyed all of it!

The next day we had a field day with all the peace corps volunteer after our embassy family brought us to get Starbucks..I have such a love/hate relationship with Starbucks but it was wonderful to have actually good coffee and not gross instant coffee that you have to put sugar in to be able to drink it ehh. Afterwards, I attempted to play soccer and basketball, but neither one are really my forte but hey! That night we had our swearing in party at this club Four...lots of dancing, more dancing.

The next day was a little tough after coming home at like 4am...oohhh I forgot to mention my friend Carrie who is in the Peace Corps in Guatemala was in El Salvador and we got to hang out and dance! It was so cool to see her and hang out with her here. Anyways, the morning was awful because I had to go to centro to get supplies to make shampoo. Centro is crowded, dirty, weird funky smells, lots of piropos (cat calls) and not so safe. Also, on the bus ride there this fucking weirdo was begging us for money and ended up being a sketch ball and cut my friend on the arm with a paperclip and hit my legs as I was getting off the bus. It was a miserable few hours running around in the hot sun, and I wasn't looking forward to getting on the 3 hour bus ride to San Miguel. But I made it and got to San M to go to Carnaval!

So Carnaval...the first event of the night a parade with floats of everything from ronald mcDonald to girls in tiny shorts shaking their asses. Meanwhile they were setting up stages throughout the city for all the bands that were going to play. After the parade finished and the crowd kinda cleared we started walking, and dancing to the music. We kinda hopped around to the different stages, stopped and ate papas fritas and pupusas, and then went to the main stage that had some group from Mexico. (For better details of carnaval because it was pretty crazy asked me..I think you are probably getting bored reading this) Afterwards, we wondered more to this gas station and there were all these like 15 year old kids sooo drunk and getting sick. At that point we were so tired from the night before and called it quits and went back.

No comments:

Post a Comment